Friday 2 December 2016

Botanical Shrub Post Two

28th Nov- 2nd December 2016


Working from the layers within my paper prints, I created four screen designs, each with a different texture. As most of my work has been textured/surface design based I wanted to add other botanical motifs. Due to the chaotic nature of my previous paper prints, I thought simple line drawings of exotic plants would be the best way to achieve a body of motifs. 

Fig. 4 
“Leaves, Ile St. Louis” (1950) by Ellesworth Kelly 


Exploring the line drawing work of Ellesworth Kelly, I started drawing from exotic plants I found and photographed to create simple motifs for a different screen design to juxtapose with the other textured screen designs as seen in fig. 5.

Fig. 5

Screen Designs

Working with pink, green and black reactive dyes I started working in the print room with no preparation or plan as to composing my prints. As I have not practiced screen printing for around 7 months, my day screen printing became more experimental, layering screens to build the textures and getting myself back into the routine of screen printing as a whole. This slow start added with no preparation meant my production of prints was inefficient, however not completely wasted as I learnt preparation was key for next time and got accustomed to working safely in the print room again. 


Fig. 6



My print samples as seen in fig.6 portrays the exploration of different techniques which I wanted to use due to my absence in the print room for so long. For example, puff binder was used, however it is not an appropriate technique to use when considering beach wear. On the other hand, maybe the use of devore could be a lighter, more suitable technique to use for a beach wear context. The colour in the print samples are also not honourable to the exotic, tropical jungle theme for my beach wear project and therefore, I will spend time mixing colours to get them right next week in order to create more refined screen print samples. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Youth Fix Post Two

30 th January- 6 th February Looking back to my children’s wear and artist inspiration this week, I started by transferring my mark m...